Proposed NHS Selection Process
This process will take effect in the 2012 – 2013 school year. Selection will take place in November. Juniors and Seniors are eligible. Career Center students are not eligible as the Career Center has its own honor society. PSEO students are eligible as long as they attend at least 4 classes at CHS. Full- time PSEO students are not eligible as there is an honorary available at the college.
1) Juniors and seniors with a GPA of 3.5 or higher who take half or more of their classes at CHS are eligible for consideration for membership in NHS.
2) Eligible students will be asked to complete the Candidate Information Form and return it to the school.
3) Copies will be made of the Candidate Information Form and given to each member of the faculty.
4) Teachers will use a 5-4-3-2-1 scale to evaluate each candidate based on leadership, service and character.
5) Teachers’ scores will be totaled and averaged. The average benchmark will be 4.25 (not rounded).
6) For automatic membership selection, the student must have been evaluated by 85% of the faculty and must have earned 85% of the maximum number of points in each attribute (leadership, service, and character). This number is a 4.25 on a 5-point scale.
7) Any student who does not meet the criteria in item 6, may still be selected. The advisor will read the information from the student’s information form, without mentioning the name, and the faculty council will evaluate the student on a 5-4-3-2-1 scale for each section of the form. The advisor will share previous scores from teacher evaluations in leadership, service and character as well as a summary of the results and any comments made. Council will evaluate the student in the area of Service, Leadership, and Overall Impression. Each category is worth 5 points. With a total of 75 possible points, a student must receive 85% or 64 points to be selected. Any student who does not receive the 64 points may be considered for membership the following year, provided he/she maintains the required GPA.
8) Any student who does not receive 75% of the maximum points in any attribute is automatically ineligible for selection. This number would be 3.75 on a 5-point scale. The student may be considered for membership the following year, provided he/she maintains the required GPA.
9) If a student is not evaluated by 85% of the faculty, the student goes to the Faculty Council.
10) Any student who has a comment made by a teacher to explain a low score or classroom situation is automatically sent to the Council. This takes precedence over any ‘automatic’ entry status.
11) There will be a Faculty Council of 5 teachers selected by the principal at the beginning of the school year.